I know I’m not in the kitchen as much as I’d like to be lately! Or, perhaps, as much you would want me to be…so, when I do manage to get a new recipe up and going, I want it to be different, and special, and….WOW!
And today’s recipe? Mixes some new with some old, and you definitely get the WOW! Spring has sprung and summer is just around the corner, so I wanted to celebrate with something light and fruity…but with a rich, decadent punch. These sounded exactly perfect!
Chocolate Angel Food Cupcakes!
You can add a little glaze, or maybe some fruit preserves or compote on top…but then I remembered this absolutely yummmm cupcake frosting I made last year, from Johnnie Gabriel’s Southern Cooking.
Yes, Fresh Strawberry Cream Cheese! I know, how decadently perfect, right?
Other then getting arm cramps whipping egg whites into a frenzy, this is an easy recipe with easy to find ingredients. Prep time is quick! (Which will give you time to chop up all the strawberries for the frosting, while they’re baking!)
Let’s dig in, shall we?
1 cup flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup baking cocoa (use the best you can find! I use dark dutched cocoa)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
10 egg lg whites (A lot, I know, but worth it! And? You’ll have all those yolks left over to make some awesome french toast with! Top with leftover strawberries. )
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Combine egg whites with salt, and beat until foamy.
3. Add cream of tartar, and continue to beat until stiff. (no, not kinda stiff…stiff stiff)
4. Stir in sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla.
5. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
6. Fold flour mixture into egg whites gradually.
7. Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 1/2 full.
8. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Cool cupcakes completely in pan.
See? I told you it was easy! Now, while they’re baking, let’s go into the recipe archive and whip up some of Johnnie’s most delicious Strawberry Cream Cheese frosting!
Johnnie’s Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1 8 oz pack cream cheese
1 16 oz box confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped strawberries
(Johnnie also offers an alternative of using 1 cup chopped pecans instead of cut up fruit. Next time!)
1. In large bowl combine butter and cream cheese, mixing well until smooth.
2. Add the confectioners sugar in increments, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl once or twice while adding.
3. Add vanilla and blend.
4. Fold in chopped strawberries. (Again, she calls for 3/4 cup, I used 1 full cup so there would be berries on all the cupcakes.)
And what you get is chocolate angel food strawberry cream cheese heaven in a cup! The perfect way to kick off the summer!
Until next time…take a break, and have a cupcake! And if you’d like to read about them…check out the contest below!
And now that we’ve satisfied our sweet tooth…how about a book to go along with that snack? Over on my Bigtime Author Website the Free Stuff Friday is back!! To win a book from my website bookshelf, simply send an email to email@example.com with “Cupcakes & Romance…I’m in!” in the subject line. This Friday, I’ll draw one name from the entry pile and announce it right here in the blog! (Don’t forget to check back to see if you’re the Big Winner!”)