I know it’s been a long time, cupcake bakers! But never fear, I am back in the kitchen. And, as a gift of apology, I bring bacon. (Flowers are SO overrated. And yes, I agree, bacon should always be typed in italics.)
Tuesday, April 30 marks the release of book 4 in my Cupcake Club series as HONEY PIE hits the stands. And what better way to celebrate than with a new cupcake recipe!
Lately it seems like it’s all the rage to mix bacon in with seemingly incongruous other ingredients, but I kept hearing raves about that salty maple bacon flavor mixed with the decadent sweetness of chocolate…and I knew I had to check it out. I did a little digging around, because research is what I do, and decided to start my epic bacon cupcake journey with this recipe from Snixy Kitchen. (And click on that link to read her story on how she came across this recipe. That sold me on trying it as much as anything.)
Well, my search began and ended with this one, because Y-U-M! She made these in mini muffin tins and at first I thought “Wimp!” But, I have to say, these are bite sized bits o’ heaven and just the right amount of Oh My God goodness. Trust.
Double chocolate bacon cupcakes
Makes about 3 dozen mini cupcakes
- 5 strips of applewood smoked bacon
- About a cup of packed brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack across the top.
- Spread the brown sugar out on a plate and press each strip of bacon into the sugar to thoroughly coat each side.
- Place each sugared strip of bacon on the wire rack, making sure they aren’t touching one another.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the bacon is crispy, but not burned (My oven is wonky, so it took a few minutes longer for me).
- Remove from oven and let cool. Chop into tiny pieces.
- Scant 3/8 cup milk
- Scant ½ tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups sugar
- ¾ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1 dash baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon plus 1 dash teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a cup and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare a mini muffin tin by spraying it with Pam.
- Sift together the cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer (or a medium bowl if working by hand).
- Add the egg, water, milk, oil, and vanilla, and stir until just smooth.
- Fill the prepared mini muffin tin 2/3 full.
- Bake about 8-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without any batter and perhaps just a few crumbs.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Pour a teaspoon of ganache (recipe below) over each cupcake and sprinkle with a teaspoon of candied bacon bits. Serve with a glass of milk.
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips*
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, bring the cream to boil.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir until thoroughly combined (at first, it’ll look too milky like it won’t combine, but it’ll eventually turn into velvety ganache).
*I made a batch with semisweet chocolate chips and with bittersweet chocolate chips and found the latter too overpowering for my taste.
And there you have it! Aren’t you just dying to try it out? Well…what are you waiting for? WAIT! There is one more thing!
To celebrate the new book release, I’m having a little Giveaway this week, a bit of blog candy (candied bacon blog candy, if you will.) The prize? A signed copy of HONEY PIE and a copy of Taste of Home’s new 2013 Cupcake cookbook. Which, just happens to have, yes, a recipe for Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes! I know, right? What were the chances? So now you can conduct your own research.
How to enter? Simple. Drop me an email to email@example.com with “Bacon cupcakes and a new book? Together? PICK ME!” in the subject line. Pop a mailing address into the body of the email, and hit send. See? As easy as popping one of those mini bacon masterpieces of decadence into your mouth. I will draw a name from the stack and announce the winner over at my Big Time Author Website: www.donnakauffman.com on Friday.
OH! One more thing! Friday? Yeah, I’ll be in Kansas City at the most fabulous reader convention evah! Yes, I’m talking about the RT Booklover’s 30th Annual Reader Convention. On Saturday, May 4 from 11-2 we’re holding a mega massive (and I mean hundreds of your favorite authors massive) book signing at the Sheraton hotel. So if you’re anywhere in the area, come by! (And if you’re attending the event and happen to see moi — run on up and say hello already! We cupcake lovers have to stick together. With bacon.)
Happy bacon baking everyone!